FeaturedGalleryNewRace Report

Southwater Relays

Southwater Relays, now in its 33rd year, where teams of three compete against each other. Every team member has to undertake the 400m swim in Southwater Lake, 11.5 miles on the bike before finishing with a very undulating 2.4 mile run. Always oversubscribed, it would prove to be a competitive morning of racing.

Sunday proved to be a dry, warm day as 127 swimmers lined up in the water for the mass start. There were some good Tuff placements coming out of the water as swimmers had to run up where their team mates were gathered, that was over 250 competitors plus spectators cheering everyone on.

There was positive news right from the off as James Mapley thundered back down through the crowd as first out of transition after the bike. The event had attracted some top racers from our region as the event doubled as one of the fixtures for Triathlon England South East Senior Series. James continued to run strongly and finished in 51:37, the fifth fastest time of the morning. Joining in with a rapid time, James Togneri finished in the top twenty with 54:05 to elevate his team to finish 14th overall. Other Tuffs were recording impressive splits around the course with a notable performance from Iris Bennett, delighted to have completed her first competitive open water race

The day is very much about the team with the encouragement continuing throughout as Tuffs ran through the assembled mass and our distinctive kit earning probably the most shout outs from the commentator.

Mark Walford, Verity-Jane Lacey & James Mapley

Strong teams as Verity-Jane Lacey and Mark Walford (fresh from qualify in a race the previous day) followed after James to record the Tuffing it Out team our highest finish in 11th and 5th mixed team. After James Togneri’s team, there was a strong showing from Dara O’Reilly, Alex’s brother in law, with Alex Webb going second and Simon Thistlethwaite third. Just 27 seconds behind strong racing from Ollie McDonald, Steve Woodbridge and Jon Babbage. Tuff Fitty Quickstep saw Mike Barrett, Dom Amey & Spencer Scott combining. Les Pearce was part of a team, as was Phil Turner and Andy Tester. Adrian Oliver, Phil Scales and Iris Bennett combined to make another Tuff mixed team which scored points for the SE Senior series. Another mixed team earning us points saw Tiff Orton, Sue Neilson and Mark Sole race. We had a strong ladies team in the form of Katie Goddard, Catharine Western & Clare Worgan. Further points for a mixed team of Claire Moyle, Jenny Oliver and Al Evans and exceptional camaraderie from our trio of Vanessa Green, Wendy Kane & Sue Pinky

That was 30 Tuffs racing well across the morning and our mixed teams earnt points which placed us fourth for the fixture on South East Senior Series table. Just Brighton & Hove Tri to complete the SE fixtures.

In addition there was Debbie Boxall, Trevor Harvey, Jon Roper, Andy Ward and Clive Harvey on the event management side. with others coming to cheer, including Niki Gatland who took some of the photos and Leah Simms; it was a great Tuff morning at Southwater lake.

It is nice to have the thoughts of two of our members who undertook their first ever Triathlon. Firstly Mark Sole and secondly Sue Pinky

Sue Neilson, Mark Sole & Tiff Orton

A team relay consisting of Tiff Orton, Emma Hinton and Sue Neilson was a formidable line up,  unfortunately I think due to injury,  a call came out requesting a new Emma, to which I answered the call.  Unfortunately, the class of the team dipped drastically at that point! Anyway I’d kicked the tyres and lubed the chain, ready to turn up,  plus was pretty sure I had everything ready.  Both Tiff and Sue were amazing and supportive,  plus the atmosphere of the event was really good. Anyway as I was the third leg,  I watched Tiff fly round,  along with some amazing performances from everyone else,  then Sue was off.  She came in off the bike looking strong and I know she can run!   I think I had some nerves as I was putting my wetsuit on, but tried thinking of everyone’s advice over the year as a member of the club. Anyway, after nearly falling in the lake, I swam a bit, cycled a bit and then ran a bit more.  Managing  to overtake a couple of people on each leg,  so I couldn’t really ask for more. The event seemed to be really well put on,  with a fun atmosphere, overriding everything.  The team element was a really good idea,  especially doing all three disciplines, it didn’t feel like you were standing around for ages either.  I’d highly recommend the event to everyone and  get in a team next year.  I definitely want to return next year and go for a pb again!

Mark

Sue Pinky (left) with teammates Wendy Kane and Ness Green

“This was my first Triathlon. I knew I could do it but was wary about putting everything together. Some amazing tips from Tom Goddard really helped with the transitions, which is what I was most nervous about, so, thank you Tom.

I’ve not had race nerves for many years, but this got me. Early to bed Saturday night as alarm was set for 05:00 so I had time to whizz Kylo round the block. Didn’t actually fall asleep until gone 10 and was awake at 2 and 3 and again at half 4 when I got up. Kylo was grateful as he got a slightly longer walk. 

I’d loaded up the car last night so left at 06:15 to get to Ness’s as her hubby was driving the Freezing Fannies to Southwater.

On arrival the buzz from everyone got me excited and the nerves disappeared for a while. 

Had an amazing time cheering on all the other Tuffs while I waited for my leg which was the last. Lots more tips from Jon B and Adrian. Thank you both. 

Being in the last leg, it meant we had a mini mass start, which was fine until someone behind me swam into me, got back on track though and had a lovely relaxing swim. 

As Tom suggested, I visualised what I was going to do during my transition. All went well apart from the cyclist who was on my right had dumped their wetsuit and bits across my things so had to move those out of the way. Then I was walking my bike to line. Not the easiest in cleats but something I will get used too. 

I found the cycling more challenging than I was expecting, my legs were really heavy, I put this down to actually kicking during the swim which is very rare for me to do and I was feeling tired.  It took me a few minutes to get over the roundabout on the first lap due to traffic build up and lack of confidence on my part on pulling out and getting clipped back in but once over things went smoothly. I did have to get off and walk towards the end of one of the hills as my legs just had nothing to give. As I got off, my left leg gave way and I smashed my knee into the ground. Nice battle wound to remind me of the event!!  After that I pushed on and felt the gel I had taken kick in. 

My 10 mile PB is over an hour so I was pleased to finish that in 50 odd minutes, especially with the hold up and the walk. 

Transition was nice and simple, rack bike, change shoes hat and gloves off and then it was time for the run.

I ran the downs and straights and walked the ups. I knew I was the last person out on the course so I did feel a tad more pressure to run more which was good. I was soon coming round for the 2nd lap and OMG I’ve never ever had cheering like that for me!! Made me push on that little bit harder. Lots of support from those that had already finished and were leaving.

Wasn’t long before I saw Mark walking towards me, they’d started taking down the markers so he came to make sure I knew the way. I was walking at this point and he said we were going to round the corner and the finish would be there so we started to run together. Soon heard Adrian shouting my name and then “come on, it’s only 100m to go” and he started running too. At first I thought I had nothing left to give but I had. My legs just took me into the best finish I’ve ever had. How I ran that fast I don’t know, maybe it was all the Tuffs shouting my name which spurred me on.  

The finish took it out of me and I started struggling to take in air, cue asthma pump being put in my hand and so many people telling me what to do, if I’m honest, I.couldnt hear what was being said. I was just concentrating on getting air. I looked up and saw Tiff walking towards me, she came over, looked me in the eyes and took my face in her hands, it was just what I needed. Again, I’ve no idea what she said to me but just having her face to concentrate on was enough. 

A huge thank you to my team, for agreeing to do this with me when I asked.  The Freezing Fannies!!  Wendy and Ness, you are both awesome and I am proud to have you as my friends.

To all the Tuffs that encouraged me, gave tips and the best cheers at the end! I thank each and every one of you. 

I will admit to having a little cry after as I was so pleased to have completed it as on Monday it was looking like I’d have to pull out due to ear infections. 

Here’s to the next one.  🏊‍♀️🚴‍♀️🏃‍♀️”

Pinky.

The attached photo album has been updated – photo credits : Niki Gatland, Adrian Oliver and Clive Harvey

IMG_20220904_080127